After over one year of not purchasing a watch (new personal record), I am very excited about this latest new arrival. Not only is it from the brand that started it all for me, it is also a Limited Edition piece of only 500 pieces... and we all know how impossible it is to get Limited Edition pieces from Panerai! This PAM 911, also known as the "Last One for Paneristi", was designed by Mr. Angelo Bonati himself. Though unlikely that this will be the last one for Paneristi ever, it will be the last one under Mr. Angelo Bonati's reign. Jean-Marc Pontroué, Roger Dubuis CEO, is scheduled to become the next Officine Panerai CEO in April 2018. I have always been a fan and a harsh critic of Panerai (see my The Fall of a Giant? article), so it will be interesting to see what happens to the brand under the new direction of Jean-Marc.
What do I like about this piece?
- Luminor Case. Classic... Can't go wrong with it.
- Dark Green Dial. Depending on the lighting, it goes from black to light green. I do wish it was a tad lighter/brighter.
- Sandwich Dial. Nothing says Panerai like a sandwich dial.
- Gold Hands. This is my first Panerai with gold hands and it is gorgeous!
- 8 Day Power Reserve. Unlike the other Luminor 8 Days, this one does not have "8 Days" printed on the dial.
- AB Initials on the Case Back. As far as I know, the only Panerai with Mr. Angelo Bonati's initials engraved on the case back.
- Limited Edition of only 500 pieces.
Special thanks to Panerai Central and Julie Davis (Officine Panerai Costa Mesa Boutique Manager), for helping me acquire this very special timepiece.