My newest arrival, and most likely my last arrival for the year (*tears*), is the Omega Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon (DSOM). This is also my first Omega. I have always been a fan of most Omega designs and often wondered why my collection was Omega-less… The numerous variations from the Seamaster (Planet Ocean) and Speedmaster (Moonwatch) collections have always caught my eye, but surprisingly I never pulled the trigger on any.
When the DSOM was released I thought “this might be it”… but then I heard the price and I was not too sure. So I have been patiently waiting for the prices to drop to my comfort level. Then two weeks ago I was informed of a deal for a brand new one that I just could not resist. Yes, I am a big sucker for good deals. So that was it, I had to pull the trigger on my very first Omega.
A full hands-on review will follow, but here are a few first impressions on the watch:
- WOW!!! It looks killer from every angle.
- Ceramic galore… case, crown, chronograph push buttons, dial, and even the tang buckle is made of ceramic! Seriously, how many manufacturers do you know that offer a ceramic buckle to go with their ceramic case watch?
- The brushed and polished finishes on the case are brilliantly executed, comparable to AP.
- The polished ceramic dial matches the polished ceramic bezel perfectly, creating a lovely effect.
- The way the dial and bezel changes based on the reflection is very unique.
- Double dome sapphire crystals! If you have read several of my watch reviews so far, you know that I LOVE dome sapphire crystals.
Overall, I am very impressed with this watch and overly satisfied. Not quite the perfect watch though, but more on that during my full hands-on review ;-).
Enjoy the quick photos!